Our Mission & Values
The Global Lead City Network (GLCN) on Sustainable Procurement is a group of 14 cities committed to drive a transition to sustainable consumption and production by implementing sustainable and innovation procurement.
Procurement makes up a significant proportion of public expenditure. According to the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS), an average of 15 percent of global gross domestic product (GDP) is spent through public procurement systems each year, amounting to over $10 trillion. By taking strategic procurement decisions, we can reduce negative environmental impacts, achieve financial efficiency, encourage innovation, boost green jobs, and strengthen labor rights.
As leading cities, we act as ambassadors
of sustainable and innovation procurement
to lead to a resource efficient, low carbon
and socially responsible society worldwide.
The GLCN enables leading cities in the field of sustainable public procurement (SPP) to
- showcase ambitious, quantified targets in four priority sectors,
- meet, share and develop capabilities to implement sustainable purchasing practices,
- help develop a supportive political framework for implementation,
- act as global and regional champions of SPP,
- foster the role of public procurement for global sustainable development.
For more information, download the GLCN ON SP brochure.