Helsinki - Finland
Sustainable Procurement Targets
The share of electric busses procured by HRT will be 30% by 2025
By 2020, all busses ordered by Helsinki Region Transport will run on renewable fuels
To find new procurement methods that can improve the living conditions of animals
Latest Procurement Achievements
By 2018, about 50 % of construction procurement included environmental criteria.
Sustainable Procurement in Helsinki
Helsinki City Strategy 2017-2021 includes the objective to be a carbon neutral city by the year 2035. The Carbon Neutral Helsinki 2035 action plan focuses mainly on sectors outside the EU Emissions Trading System, such as construction, transport and procurement, which have no binding emission goals. Procurement has been identified as an important tool in achieving the goal of carbon neutrality and the action plan includes many actions connected to procurement. These actions are in line also with the goals set in the City’s environmental policy for year 2020.
Key actions connected to procurement are to:
- develop existing and introduce new criteria to take account of life cycle, circular economy and climate perspective in procurement
- recognize relevant procurement in terms of greenhouse gas emissions and to develop emission calculations, life cycle modelling and climate effect evaluation regarding this procurement
- apply environmentally emphasized effectiveness assessment in procurement
- increase business cooperation via experimenting and pilots and to apply for funding to do innovative procurement to decrease greenhouse gas emissions
- create strategic goals and a road map for sustainable and innovative procurement in City of Helsinki Group increase responsible procurement cooperation with municipalities, joint authorities and other public sector stakeholders
To increase sustainable procurement and to enhance related co-operation the City has also established an internal network for sustainable procurement.
By 2035, reduce traffic GHG emissions by 69% from the 2005 level.
By 2035, Helsinki aims to be carbon neutral.
Carbon Neutral Energy production by 2050.