Budapest launches ambitious new procurement targets
Budapest has announced a series of new procurement targets, which demonstrate the ambition of the city. The targets declare the intention of realising innovative and sustainable procurements while aiming for high quality and effectiveness, but minimizing the environmental footprint of purchases. A target for 100% sustainable procurement processes means that every procurement shall contain or shall be driven by at least one issue, item, or contractual obligation under the umbrella of sustainability.
The full set of targets is as follows:
• 100% of the procurement processes will integrate sustainability and green aspects by 2020
• At least 30% of the evaluation criteria in the procurement processes will be determined upon sustainable principles by 2020
• 70% of the newly purchased public transportation vehicles in Budapest will be clean by 2020
• 1100 electric vehicle chargers will be implemented in the city by the end of 2018
• 21% reduction of CO2-emission and increased energy savings by 2020
• At least one procurement training programme per year will be accomplished for employees by 2020
Budapest has linked its training programme commitment to the innovation procurement training that has taken place during the CEPPI project. The targets are part of the Budapest Environmental Program (2017-2021), which was accepted by the General Assembly on the 30th of August 2017.